Date:      Sat, 3 Nov 2001 14:24:42 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD SCSI" <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Parity errors with Adaptec 29160 SCSI Adapter

I think this is already being discussed, but I only just now joined this list:

I installed an Adaptec 29160 SCSI adapter in my FreeBSD 4.3 STABLE machine
yesterday, and I get occasional spurts of parity errors on ahc0, like this:

ahc0: PCI error Interrupt at seqaddr = 0x8
ahc0: Data Parity Error Detected during address or write data phase

The address of 0x8 is sometimes 0x9, with no obvious pattern.

I get about 20 of these in a row when they occur, over the course of 30-60
seconds.  The system is almost always idle, as it is not a production system, so
I'm not sure if any activity tends to trigger the errors.  The system continues
to run normally in other respects, as far as I can tell, but the last time I
booted cold (shutdown now, then wait for a shell prompt, then off/on on the
box), there were some file system errors listed, all of which were recovered.

My intuition tells me that this is not an actual hardware defect, but probably a
software problem, or a hardware/software configuration error.  Is this a known
problem?

Configuration:

Motherboard:       Microtech ATX Chaintech 7 AIA
Processor:         AMD Thunderbird 1.4 GHz
Memory:            256 MB
RAM clock:         133 MHz

The only disk is an IDE 40 GB disk; there are no devices attached to the 29160
as yet (I plan to attach a 4mm DAT drive to it once I get it stable, though).
There are only three PCI slots (all 32-bit): one is taken up by a 3Com 10/100
NIC, another is empty, and the third holds the 29160 (with only a 32-bit
connection, since I don't have any 64-bit slots).

I had these bursts of errors multiple times yesterday; I saw that PnP was turned
on in the BIOS and turned it off, and that seemed to help (probably
coincidence).  Another burst occurred during the night.

I had a funny feeling when I bought this SCSI card, like it was going to cause
me trouble or something.  Unfortunately the computer store didn't have the
2940UW that I probably would have preferred.