Date:      09 Dec 2002 10:45:28 -0500
From:      "Julian C. Dunn" <jdunn@verticalscope.com>
To:        Tod McQuillin <devin@spamcop.net>
Cc:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@TheWorld.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Non-root updating & building

--=-ALBOT53PKZPOuYtxVIIy

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 10:41, Tod McQuillin wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
>=20
> > What would be a/the Right Way(tm:) to separate the privelege
> > of updating/building vs installing world and/or ports?

> For ports,
>=20
> I have never tried it, but if you use the portupgrade utilities, there is
> a --sudo command option which seems to imply that it runs as non-root
> where it can and uses sudo where it needs privileges.
>=20
> I would be interested to know if this actually works.

For the most part it (-s/--sudo) actually works. Older versions of
portupgrade didn't, mostly due to a lack of knowledge about what
commands require sudo and which don't. Now when I say "for the most
part" sometimes portupgrade has trouble creating directories (e.g. work
directories) if your ports tree isn't owned by your build user, or at
least writable by it.=20

> For build/install world, it should work to make sure your /usr/src is
> readable and your /usr/obj writable by a non-root user.  Of course you
> will need to be root to install to system directories.

Yep, that's the case too.

- Julian

--=20
-- Julian C. Dunn, B.A.Sc.  <jdunn@verticalscope.com>
-- Senior Software Developer / UNIX Systems Administrator
-- VerticalScope Inc.
-- 111 Peter St., Suite 700, Toronto, ON
-- Tel: (416) 341-8950 x236  Fax: (416) 341-8959
-- PGP Key: 0x4EE2041F=20

--=-ALBOT53PKZPOuYtxVIIy

--=-ALBOT53PKZPOuYtxVIIy--