Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 2010 13:31:24 -0400
From:      "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using an SSD "disk" for /

Hello!

I'm setting up a new system and would like to use a moderate (64Gb or
128Gb) SSD-drive to boot from.

This will house /, /var, /home, and the /usr/local and thus see plenty
of activity, whenever src and ports are updated, or "world" is remade,
or packages are upgraded. I'm hoping, these operations would be much
faster, than with a regular HDD.

However, people mention, that SSDs develop /severe/ performance
degradation if written to A LOT -- unless some SDD-specific operation
(TRIM) is used, but not all Operating Systems support that... Does
FreeBSD-8? Is that sufficient, or will an SSD degrade quickly anyway?

Does anyone use an SSD under FreeBSD? Which brand/model? Are you happy
with it?

Also, what parameters should I give to newfs? SSDs' characteristics seem
rather different from HDDs', so it is unlikely, that newfs' defaults
will be optimal for an SSD... Would a different filesystem (ZFS?) be a
better choice, than FFS, for these devices?

Other thoughts? Thank you very much! Yours,

    -mi