Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2011 02:35:55 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        troy@twisted.net
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Failed building kdebase-workspace-4.5.5_1 cannot find the library liblzma.la

On Mar 27, 2011, at 21:24 , Troy wrote:
> I do have those libs there.  I'm not sure why it's looking in =
/usr/local/lib to find it.  I double checked and have /usr/lib in my =
PATH. Do you have any thoughts here?

At a rough guess, you source-upgraded your system from a time when =
archivers/xz was required (and included the .la file) to a point where =
it was in the base system without essentially rebuilding everything.

You could _probably_ temporarily fix this by looking for =
/usr/local/lib/liblzma.la in _every_ .la file installed under =
/usr/local/lib, and replace it with -lzma but this is just a very =
temporary fix to a horribly fragile .la interdependency framework.

There are various solutions to this, but they're all by nature very =
invasive and can cause other issues.  Sadly, there is no easy one-liner =
fix to this either.

-aDe