Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2017 10:21:53 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>, Dimitry Andric <dim@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: deorbiting /usr/lib/libstand.a, moving to sysboot

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2017-10-09 at 10:09 -0600, Warner Losh wrote:

> These
> > > are

> be
> boot
> > > loader.

> userland
> use

> > > There are out-of-tree users of libstand.  Perhaps not many, but a
> > > couple times after doing something to libstand I've received emails
> > > from people that thanked me for the enhancement and mentioned some non-
> > > loader(8) use of the lib in passing.  (Unfortunately, I can't find any
> > > of those mails now, they were from 2-3 years ago.)
> > >
> > They can email me and I'll help them convert over... :)
> >
> > Warner
>
> Actually, I got distracted, then came back and hit Send too soon.  I
> meant to ask "Will the library still be accessible to out of tree
> users?", so that adjusting to the change will amount to fixing some
> build breakage to adjust to a new location?

The proposal is to take it 100% internal and officially not support its use
outside the loader.

It's open source, so if you really want to use it, you can with some
effort. If there's one or two people, they can adjust. If there's lots,
then I can revisit the proposal. It would help to know who they were and
what, exactly, they used it for.

Warner