Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 09:00:45 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty), opsys@mail.webspan.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where is the FreeBSD Mozilla CVS server?

> > I disagree. It is a cheap way to market FreeBSD and to show that we are
> > good Net Citizens .
>
> And deliver nothing more than you get from mozilla.org. If people
> would pick up mozilla like Nate et al have picked up the jdk, then you'd
> have something to be proud of.

Not to bang on my own drum, but because FreeBSD.org has a java page that
points to a FreeBSD.org mailing list, I've gotten a *LOT* of positive
response on our JDK efforts, including a number of folks from SUN and
other OS's interested in helping the FreeBSD effort out. :)

Nate

ps. My personal feeling on the matter is that FreeBSD is doing a better
job of creating a great product as a volunteer product.  This is both
a strength and a weakness.  People get the mistaken impression that
there is no support for our product this way, where with Linux you have
RedHat and Caldera that you can whine to (with no response).  Sitting in
corporate American, the people who make decisions don't remember what
it's like in the trenches, and *really* honestly think that if they can
send a check somewhere they'll get a response.  So, IMHO the *best*
thing that Jordan can do is startup 'FreeBSD Inc.' right away that
sells a value-added version of FreeBSD.  Unfortunately, this involves a
fair amount of risk, since it'll be stepping on lots of toes (including
WC's), but IMHO this is the only way FreeBSD will ever break out of it's
'hacker-only' OS image.

'nuff said.