Date:      Mon, 6 Apr 1998 08:27:46 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        sfarrell+lists@farrell.org, tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Softupdate for 2.2.6?

> > Hm... does anyone have a sense of what the lifetime of 2.2.x is?
> > I'm just thinking if it took someone half a year, and 2.2.x would be
> > dead in 9 months (e.g.), then it wouldn't really be that worthwhile.
>
> It's impossible to say for sure, given that such things are driven
> more by user demand than by any deliberate plan, but I suspect that we
> won't see 2.2.x run much longer than November 1998, after which it
> will go very much into legacy support mode.

"legacy support mode" sounds as "dead" to me... the question is if
next stable release will be 3.0 (i.e. including SMP, as I understand
it) or something called 2.3

Having not followed much 3.0 development (and perhaps others have the
same problem) I cannot really say what are the significant differences
between 2.2.X and 3.0 and what could be backported.

Can you make a short list of the most important differences and a rough
indication of the stability of each item and difficulty in porting
things back to 2.X ?

What I know (might be completely wrong) is the following

	item				stability	backport