Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 16:20:11 -0700
From:      "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@Mole.ORG>
To:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.org, se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE
Cc:        conta@alpo.casc.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940 PCI-SCSI on Compaq ProLinea 5100

> Which is (IMNSHO) is *EXTREMELY* shortshighted of ANY company ... how
> many ``high end'' OS's rely on the crappy PC bios for I/O? I'm not
> meaning the M$ stuff, I'm meaning the true UN*X stuff (e.g. Solaris,
> SCO, FreeBSD. Sorry, maybe I shouldn't have said UN*X :-) ). It
> basically means that Compaq hardware is limited to running M$ stuff,
> which is cutting out other people from the game ... has Compaq been
> bought out by M$, perhaps? :)

   (money spent on non-M$ stuff) + (money spent on M$ stuff)
                      (money spent on M$ stuff)

More's the pity, but the money talks. That makes it not necessarily
shortsighted from a business standpoint :-(

The good of it is that there's a driving force for less expensive, more
powerful hardware to run M$ (and it's required), and other OS's get to
ride the coattails.

--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Mole.ORG  +1 619 598 5874
Better is the enemy of Good