Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 1997 22:06:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Obvious fix for tempfile race conditions?

> : If I've got that much of it right, why not simply add a mount option
> : to disable symlinks on a given filesystem?
> Because it isn't needed?  It is possible to safely remove file in /tmp
> or other hostile grounds by using fchdir and comparing before and
> after inode# and device# using stat and fstat.

Just because it _can_ be done safely doesn't mean that it _is_ being
done safely.

Consider the problem with /etc/security in 2.1.x: the script redirected
the output of several commands onto a temporary file in /tmp, but made
no checks on that file before writing to it. Any user could predict the
filename and create a symlink, causing /etc/security to write to any
file on the system. An obvious problem, and one would expect a script
named "security" to pay attention to such issues.

I'd bet there are other, less obvious problems in other programs.

Disabling symlinks in /tmp would greatly reduce a cracker's options.