Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 21:38:35 EST
From:      BriGuy1024@aol.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FIPS session ends w/ "Memory Allocation Error"

I ran FIPS to split my 6.4gig hd.  Win95b is the first OS, and I hope to load
FreeBSD on the new partition.  The FIPS session seemed to go well,  but ended
with:

Repartioning complete
With FAT32 partitions, you should now run scandisk on the shortened partition
Bye!

Memory Allocation error
Cannot load COMMAND, system halted.

I had run FIPS from a: using a boot disk as recommended in fips.doc.
I then rebooted normally, starting Windows95, and ran FDISK:

Current Fixed Disk Drive: 1
Partition    Status   Type          Volume label    Mbytes    System    Usage
 C: 1             A       PRI-DOS                            4628       FAT32
     75%
     2                      NON-DOS                           1553
          25%

So, partition 2 is the newly created one, but it is listed as NON-DOS.
According to fips.doc, fips is supposed to create a new primary DOS
partition, which it seems not to have done in my case.  Also, the new
partition is supposed to be recognized by DOS after you reboot, but no new
drives appear in Windows Explorer, just the same old A, C, and Q (cd rom).

Not knowing what to do, I "fiddled" with  the FDISK option that allows you to
set the active partition.  I set 2 as Active, and then switched back,
figuring this wasn't going to help anything.

I then rebooted using the FIPS boot disk to run fips -t since the fips.doc
says that's a
way of making sure things went right.  The partition table displayed was now
different from what it was when I originally ran FIPS:

original:                 START                              END             S
tart        # of
Part. Bootble  Head Cyl. Sector  System  Head Cyl. Sector  Sectr.      Sect.
    MB
1         yes         1    0     1         0Ch      254  589    63
63    9478287  4628
2         no            0  590    1         0Ch      254  787    63   9478350
  3180870  1553
3         no            0     0     0         00h         0      0      0
        0              0       0
4         no            0     0     0         00h         0      0      0
        0              0       0

after reboot:
                            START                              END
 Start        # of
Part. Bootble  Head Cyl. Sector  System  Head Cyl. Sector  Sectr.      Sect.
    MB
1         no            0     0     0         00h         0      0      0
        0              0       0
2         no            0     0     0         00h         0      0      0
        0              0       0
       3         yes          1    0     1         0Ch      254  589    63
       63    9478287  4628
4         no            0  590    1         1Ch      254  787    63   9478350
  3180870  1553

As you can see, Partitions 1 & 2 are  now listed as 3 & 4.  And under
"System", 4 now says 1Ch instead of 0Ch. (whatever that means).

The fips.doc does warn that you could encounter problems if your system uses
a "disk cache" (like Smartdrive), so I searched my C: drive for "smartdrive"
before even starting fips and found nothing.  Maybe there is some other disk
cache on my system?  I don't know how to check for that, other than running
"find" for the words "disk cache", which I did, and which listed various
files that contained either "disk" or "cache" only, none of which seemed to
belong to the sort of program warned about in fips.doc.

My system has just the one HD (Intel 82371AB  PCI Bus Master IDE Controller).
If I can provide any other info that might be useful let me know.

Any help is appreciated,
Brian