Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:38:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>
To:        Didier Bringer <didier.bringer@caramail.com>
Cc:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AHA-2910C aic7xxx

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Didier Bringer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a adaptec AHA-2910C PCI
> I have an internal tape drive (terminated by jumper)
> I have a scanner mustek 12000SP (terminated active)
>
> The documentation say to disable the adapter terminator if
> the internal and external cables are plugged (so I did)
>
> the SCSIselect utility under DOS see both peripherals but
> linux can't. furthermore if I boot linux (driver aic-7xxx)
> and that I reboot on DOS the SCSIselect can't see the chain
> anymore (I have a timeout unexpected)
>
> Even more, I was using a redhat 5.2 with only the scanner
> and it worked well, since I have redhat 6 (kernel
> 2.2.5-15)and even only with the scanner linux can't see the
> scanner.
>
> I don't understand can someone helps ?

The 6.0 kernel had the PROBE ALL LUNS option set in the SCSI configuration
section.  We fixed that "feature" for 6.1.  In essence, when we probe your
scanner for a lun higher than 0, it locks up the bus and won't work any
more.  That's why DOS and SCSI Select fail afterwards, because the card
isn't what's hung, the scanner is.  Anyway, get the 6.1 distro and things
should be fine.

  Doug Ledford   <dledford@redhat.com>
   Opinions expressed are my own, but
      they should be everybody's.