Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:10:08 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        FreeBSD Gnome <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   successful upgrade

Hi!

I've just finished the upgrade to 2.10 and want to
congratulate and say thanks to all the gnome@ and ports@
volunteers.

Just for the archives, my upgrade using the gnome_upgrade.sh
script suffered from two important stops and the offending
ports were:
i) net/gtk-gnutella: the port was fixed quickly after reporting it
to the mailing list
ii) www/firefox: had to upgrade print/freetype2 to 2.1.9

And also two minor ones:
i) failure to fetch accessibility/gnomespeech (the distfile
has been rerolled, had to cvsup to get the new distinfo
ii) x11/gnomeapplets2 failed to install because
a dependency (x11/libxklavier) failed to install: had to
pkg_delete the older libxklavier-1.04_1,1.

I haven't recorded the issues I had experienced in my
previous upgrade from 2.6 to 2.8, but I've found the current
upgrade to 2.10 much more smooth.

Congratulations again!

There are reasons for this, and the first one is IMO the
change in the strategy used in the upgrade script. From
what I remember the script for the 2.6->2.8 upgrade used
portupgrade -r on key components while the current
2.8->2.10, creates the list of dependencies on this key
components, removes them and then proceeds to install them
afresh. This, I think eliminates many of the problems I've
seen in my past upgrade (however, see *).

The second reason, again IMO, is that from the previous
upgrade I learned a lesson: try to keep my installed ports
as closer as I could to the versions and portrevisions in
the ports tree if at all possible. Porters and developers
always perform their test builds in fresh, pristine
environments with up to date port trees. The chance of
getting across build problems is much much less if I'm up to
date, and this has made my life easier not only for big
upgrades like this one, but for installing and testing
single ports also.

Perhaps this advice can also help others.

Thanks for the good work!

(*) though the upgrade has worked fine for me, I understand that
deleting ports/packages before attempting to install them
and only storing a list of them (no backup packages) may not
be ideal. Perhaps the upgrade script could ask the user if
s/he wants to make backup packages ... though the disk space
needed (which could not be estimated in advance) to backup
all of them at once could be too much.