Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 17:51:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Discussion : Using DHCP to obtain configuration.

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > The way UNIX piles random configuration information all into /etc
> > has always bugged the crap out of me.  Ideally, /etc should go away
> > because nothing should be "miscellaneous".. it should all be organized.
>
> ... in a database.  Go visit Terry's cube tomorrow.  Say "LDAP?" and
> wait for the lecture.
>
> > Hmm.. what if we created the /var/conf hierarchy...
>
> Actually, what I want is a stub version of the LDAP client library that
> can be linked into a few of the items that run early on (init, mount,
> fsck, dhclient, etc), before the network is up.  Once the net is up,
> everything parametric ought to be indirected through a generic "get me
> a parameter" API.

See, so the reason I find this concerning is that it stores the
configuration information (presumably) in a single repository, and the
kernel enforcement of the security on this repository can't be made finer
grained.  See the current discussion on freebsd-stable/-security for
details.  If you have several securelevels, you will want several sources
of configuration information -- wherein higher securelevels can change
their own configuration, but not that of lower securelevels (i.e., a
higher securelevel might allow changing the web server configuration, but
not changing the file system mount information as root).

Some information looks like it would fit nicely into a single directory
service -- i.e., DNS configuration, account name information, mail
delivery information, etc.  Other stuff does not fit so well -- ipfw
configuration, port mapping of key daemons, file systems to mount, library
search path, and so on.

If the two approaches can be made compatible, I am all for a more sane
configuration system :).  If not, then I see problems.

  Robert N Watson

----
Carnegie Mellon University  http://www.cmu.edu/
Trusted Information Systems http://www.tis.com/