Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:53:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>
To:        Neil Conway <nconway.list@ukaea.org.uk>
Cc:        Didier Bringer <didier.bringer@caramail.com>, aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AHA-2910C aic7xxx

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Neil Conway wrote:

> Doug Ledford wrote:
> > The 6.0 kernel had the PROBE ALL LUNS option set in the SCSI configuration
> > section.  We fixed that "feature" for 6.1.  In essence, when we probe your
> > scanner for a lun higher than 0, it locks up the bus and won't work any
> > more.  That's why DOS and SCSI Select fail afterwards, because the card
> > isn't what's hung, the scanner is.  Anyway, get the 6.1 distro and things
> > should be fine.
>
> Possibly dumb query: if that's what actually hangs the bus, would a
> blacklist 'cure' the problem?  (Dumber question: what do Windows-land
> drivers do by default?).

Yes, but blacklist entries are bad for the simple fact that you don't know
you need them until something goes wrong.  Then, it's too late and God
knows how many copies of the CD will have shipped and how many people will
have the same problem and how many times you will rattle off the same
answer.....

As for windows, I don't think it probes all luns, but I could be wrong.

  Doug Ledford   <dledford@redhat.com>
   Opinions expressed are my own, but
      they should be everybody's.