Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 1995 12:18:29 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, terry@lambert.org, hackers@freebsd.org, lenzi@cwbone.bsi.com.br
Subject:   Re: boot disk....

Bruce Evans stands accused of saying:

> >Stage 2 boostrap ...
> >... should perform MBR fixup to
> >guarantee that the absolute offset field in the MBR matches the c/h/s
> >values for the slice under the BIOS geometry.
>
> Only for its own benefit.  Drivers don't want to know about yet another
> translation.

It's actually intended to remove the need for any driver to need to know
about any translation.  There are issues related to disks not covered by
a BIOS, but from the point of view of the 'panic: can't mount root' problem
experienced when an unwitting installer gets the geometry wrong.

> >It should also be buildable
> >as a DOS program, to allow it to work with Ontrack's Disk Mangler.  The
>
> Nothing should require DOS utilitites to build.

Nothing would.  "It should be buildable as a DOS program"; in other words,
it should fit into the fbsdboot tool, to cover all booting scenarios.

> Bruce

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[