Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:45:42 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
Cc:        Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: analog and Apache?

On Fri, Jul 25, 1997 at 10:17:56PM -0500, Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:
[Reverse IP mapping when analysing log files]
> Uh, you may not want to do this.
>
> I found that after 4 weeks of running IP logging and using the results from
> 3 servers that 5 hours to run reports vs 5 minutes was just a bit too much.

I've got 10 lines of Perl (well, maybe a few more than 10 lines) kicking
around here somewhere that

    #!/bin/pseudo-code

    Read in saved cache of IP addresses

    While (read a line from STDIN)
        Check it's in Common Log Format

        If (the host entry is an IP address)
             Look up the IP address

        Open the file yyyy/mm/dd.log (based on the date/time of the entry)

        Write the line to this file
    Wend

    Dump IP address cache to file

Although it's slightly more sophisticated than that. I've found this makes
log management that much easier, and means you only do the IP address look
up once.

Copies available on request. Or if I get enough requests, I'll put it up for
FTP somewhere.

--+==[ Nik Clayton is Just Another Perl Hacker at Interactive Investor ]==+--
                               Pithy quotes suck.