Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 1999 20:52:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brian@Awfulhak.org (Brian Somers)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pipe(2)

> Should pipe(2) be a bit stronger about what's ``conventional'' and
> mention that two uni-directional descriptors are returned by most
> operating systems ?  I've been stung twice recently because I've
> assumed that the descriptors are bidirectional :-(
>
> If there are no objections, I'll update the man page:

[ ... ]

> +.Sh STANDARDS
> +POSIX does not require that each descriptor is bidirectional.  For
> +portability reasons, unidirectional descriptors should be assumed.
>  .Sh HISTORY

In addition to the statement:

     The bidirectional nature of this implementation of pipes is not portable
     to older systems, so it is recommended to use the convention for using
     the endpoints in the traditional manner when using a pipe in one direc-
     tion.

I guess?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org