Date:      Thu, 09 Dec 1999 23:03:12 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i4b syncppp not talking with Ascend Max - followup

Brian Somers writes:
>> As a followup to my previous mail, it seems like this trivial change
>> should allow each isp interface (up to 15) to be assigned a unique
>> address. I expect that this would eliminate the problems which we've
>> been seeing when more than one interface has 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.1 assigned,
>> since we could now use 0.0.0.0/[0.0.0.1 thru 0.0.0.15] instead, which
>> should be enough for most users ;-)
>[.....]
>
>I don't really think this is the right way to go... these magic IP
>numbers should be chosen by the user.....  I feel the same about
>0.0.0.0 though.
>
>In real life, there should be a way of UPing an interface without
>assigning a local address, having ports bind to this ``to be
>assigned'' address and then ultimately tidying everything up when
>the interface is finally configured.  Until then, nothing can arrive
>on the interface, but stuff can be routed to wherever the destination
>address points.  The local address 0.0.0.0 is reasonable, but lots
>more support is needed - it's non-trivial :-|

exactly - it's non-trivial. My patch at least offers a possibility
to avoid the problems associated with multiple interfaces with 0/1
addresses. And it's hackish, just like the original "fix" to the
problem ;-)

But we really should revamp the whole sPPP interface issue. _I_ don't
plan to do it in the foreseeable future, though.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj@muc.de garyj@fkr.cpqcorp.net gj@freebsd.org