Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 01:58:56 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        ada@bsd.org, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nokia cellular

> > > The PCMCIA card certainly works - it does indeed look just like a
> > > modem (and if you prise open the lid on the card, you will find
> > > a real 16C550 inside!).
> >
> > Which particular model is this?
>
> The card is just labelled "Nokia Cellular Data Card" and has a model
> number "DTP-2". I use it with a Nokia 2110i (GSM900), but the same card
> also works with the 2140 phone (the GSM1800 varient of the 2110).
>
> So far as I can tell, the interface to the phone is the raw 13kbit/sec
> data stream, plus a separate control connection to the phone's CPU to
> control dialling etc.  The card has its own CPU, implementing the FEC link
> protocol, and emulating the usual Hayes modem command set on the host side
> (including class1/2 fax).  It also has a command-line access to send SMS
> messages and to interrogate the phone's store of received SMS - again, all
> accessed the serial port, the command "AT*C" switching into the SMS
> mode.
>
> My pccard.conf contains:
>
> card "Nokia Mobile Phones" "DTP-2"
> 	config 0x22 "sio2" 10
> 	insert echo "Nokia datacard inserted"
>         remove echo "Nokia datacard removed"

I recently looked into getting the nk502 working as a soft-modem (you
don't need the data card).

Nokia say (I quote):

  Licence Agreement:
  A licence agreement is always made between the
  SMS SDK customer and Nokia Mobile Phones.
  The agreement provides Licensee the right to
  develop and manufacture SW and HW using the
  Nokia SMS SDK.  The right is granted to the
  products of the Licensee listed in the agreement
  Please note: Nokia will test and approve the
  products before the commercial launch.

  Further Information:
  If you are interested in enhancing your products or
  applications with mobile features, please contact
  us.

  email: cellular.partner@nmp.nokia.com

This doesn't look good to me - and I never followed it up further
than this.  I guess we're stuck with the (rather expensive) data card
:-(

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;