Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:43:35 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Dungeonkeeper <zethix@sofiaonline.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shell issue

In the last episode (Mar 24), Dungeonkeeper said:
> I believe that the shells have a maximum command lenght, so... I'm
> trying now to make the shell use the same command lenght when
> expanding such commands. I think this is the best way to avoid this
> problem. Any ideas?

The kernel has a maximum command-line length, but it that only gets
checked when an external executable is run.  Something like

echo `cat /dev/urandom`

would still work, since echo is usually a shell builtin command.

The better way to stop malicious people from using up all your memory
is to specify a datasize limit in /etc/login.conf .

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com