Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 1997 12:49:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Salama <salama@dreamscape.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ethernet card

On Sun, 23 Mar 1997, Salama wrote:

> Could you tell me how to install my Ethernet card? It is a SMC Western
> Digital 8003 adapter. I have it all set up, but I don't know how to
> allow ftp and telnet conections through it. I am also having trouble
> downloading the INSTALL.TXT off your ftp server. It stops downloading
> after 8K.

1.  put -c on the boot: ropmt to get to userconfig.
2.  Edit the ed driver to match the settings on the ethenet card.
3.  Quit and continue booting.  Make sure the ed0 device is found.  If
not, check setings and start from #1.
4.  Modify /etc/sysconfig and add an ifconfig_ed0 line with the
appropriate settings.  An example is given.

5.  Modify the defaultroute item to list your gateway.
6.  Disable routed in ssyconfig.

7.  Restart and you should be going.

If you want to setup anonymous ftp, check out the ftpd man page.