Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 09:39:42 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Andrew Gould <AndrewGould@shannonhealth.org>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 1st FreeBSD install - misc questions

* Andrew Gould <AndrewGould@shannonhealth.org> [000808 09:28] wrote:
> I am trying to make the conversion from Linux to FreeBSD; and I have a few
> questions:
>
> 1. How do you check for free memory in FreeBSD? (I'm looking for the
> equivalent of Linux's 'free'.)

'top' or 'vmstat' can help.

> 2. How can I tell if swap is being used appropriately? (I'm used to seeing a
> swap entry in /etc/fstab.)

So am I:

/dev/da0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0

> 3. What's the best way to move MySQL tables from an ext2 slice to an FreeBSD
> (ffs or ufs?) slice?  The slices are on different hard drives; but in the
> same system.

FreeBSD can mount EXT2, I would just compile in EXT2 support, mount
the linux drive and copy it over to FFS.

> 4. Will I lose any functionality in FreeBSD if I continue to use bash?  Do I
> need to learn csh (root's default shell)?

I don't consider bash functional, use zsh. :P

> 5. I've noticed that many FreeBSD users use applications that are written
> for Linux. What is the appropriate way to install a Linux application? Do I
> need to compile from source?

That depends, some opensource apps can be compiled on FreeBSD, your best
bet is to check the ports collection first.  If you want to run Linux
binaries then you may need to install /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base,
it's quite large but works pretty well.

--
Alfred Perlstein - [bright@wintelcom.net|alfred@freebsd.org]