Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 14:49:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      "A. Rich" <arr@oceanwave.com>
To:        nik@iii.co.uk
Cc:        "A. Rich" <arr@oceanwave.com>, Keith Jones <keith@blueberry.co.uk>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mountd -n is not allowing non-root mounts

nik> Some PCNFS implementations send their (legitimate) requests from a port
nik> that's > 1023, which is the wrong thing to do. The -n flag is a work
nik> around for the NFS *server* to let it allow these requests.

Right, and that's what's failing to work.  The NCDs are trying to mount an
exported directory and fail with the error "Permission Denied."  Mountd on the
server is running with the -n flag but doesn't appear to be servicing the
mount requests.  If I have a BSDI machine set up exactly the same way, the NCD
is quite happy to mount the exported filesystems.  For some reason, the
FreeBSD machine is denying the NCDs mount permission.  At least that's what I
think I've narrowed it down to (I checked all of the actual file permissions,
which are fine).

--
Amy Rich <arr@oceanwave.com>                    Oceanwave Consulting, Inc.
UNIX Systems Administration Consultant          12 Hines Way