Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 15:55:04 +0100
From:      Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   KDE2 upgrade pains (was Re: KDE init)

Lawrence Farr wrote:

> Couldn't they have a ports version number appended to the end? It's a
> pain
> having to manually go through the list of dependencies and
> uninstall/rebuild.
>
> I went through similar problems with KDE2, and deleted every dependency,
> rebuilt,
> and it's peachy now.

I've just reinstalled may home box with a recent snapshot and the latest
KDE2 packages (attempts to upgrade KDE2 via source and portupgrade left
the machine with an unbuildable parts of KDE, due to incompatible
automake/autoconf versions, then a binary upgrade with the kde packages
got to an inconsistency on the libpng - well, I suppose I missed
something ...)

Nevermind : I've got KDE 2.2.1 installed on a 4.4-Stable (finally !)

what I've lost is the ability to use Alt-Gr accessible characters (the
pipe symbol should be accessible via Alt-GR+5 key combination, but this
does not seem be working : under xterm, the Alt-Gr+key combination gives
the same result as the Alt+key combination)

I kept the /etc tree from the previous 4.3-Stable version : could the
key table be corrupted ?

--
Thierry Herbelot