Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 12:15:57 +0100
From:      Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP - change in CDRIOC.*SPEED ioctl units

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Nate Lawson wrote:

> I'm not going to debate API since as I said before, the API is
> fundamentally limiting.  It was written to support one program
> (burncd) and thus is overly restrictive.  I took the approach of limiting
> the MMC set less, not adding another hack.

If it's really only used by baseline programs, would not it be better
then to kill it altogether than shuffling it from one limited state to
another? Some people say that software optimization is complete when
there's nothing left to remove. I tend to agree for the maintenance
involved.

--
Matthias Andree