Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2017 12:57:25 +0000
From:      Panagiotes Mousikides <paggas1@yandex.com>
To:        Matt Joras <mjoras@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Install FreeBSD from source into VM image

Den 2017-08-14 kl. 18:49, skrev Matt Joras:
> On 08/14/2017 11:42, Panagiotes Mousikides wrote:
>> I am working on the FreeBSD test suite, and need to create an image
>> file from source.  How can I do that?
>>
>> I need to run something similar to make installkernel && make
>> installworld with an image file as the target, such that the end
>> result is a ready-made FreeBSD system that can be started up with
>> bhyve.  How can I do that, including creating the correct /etc files,
>> and the correct boot code and partitioning?
>>
> See release(7), https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?release(7). The
> relevant section is under virtual machine disk images and the vm-image
> target. The VMFORMATS for bhyve is "raw". That will generate an image
> that "just works" with vmrun.sh
>
> Matt Joras

Hi Matt!

Thank you so much for the tip!  I tried what you recommended, the
command I ran specifically was (inside release/)

     sudo make vm-image WITH_VMIMAGES=1 VMBASE=aaaa VMSIZE=2G
VMFORMATS=raw VMSIZE=2G vm-image

followed by

     sudo sh /usr/share/examples/bhyve/vmrun.sh -d aaaa.raw vm-aaaa

but apparently the image generated doesn't work.  The error I'm getting
after hitting "1" at the boot screen is

     Error return from kevent monitor: Not permitted in capability mode

repeatedly cascading through the screen.  Any ideas?  I would greatly
appreciate your help!

Best regards,
Panagiotes