Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 17:56:11 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        "Duncan Barclay" <dmlb@dmlb.org>
Cc:        "Wes Peters" <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Clustering FreeBSD

I'm going to try these ideas out, thanks for the pointers.  I'm
highly motivated to stop waiting so long :-).  And a nice
use for the systems that have been piling up, if this works
out.

I'll be reporting back...

Cheers,
Russell

%
%On 20-Jan-01 Wes Peters wrote:
%> "Russell L. Carter" wrote:
%
%<details snipped>
%
%>> %See the paper "Recursive Make Considered Harmful."  Make is an amazing
%>> %tool when used correctly.
%>>
%>> That's not the problem, unfortunately.  I've never had a problem
%>> rebuilding dependencies unnecessarily, or any of those
%>> other problems described.  Well precompiled headers would be
%>> really really cool.  The problem, again, is that parallelism
%>> is limited by the directory structure, and the directory structure
%>> is entirely rational.
%>
%> The directory structure has nothing to do with the Makefiles.  To
%> obtain the goal the paper suggests, you replace the recursive
%> Makefiles with a single top-level Makefile that describes ALL of the
%> targets and ALL of the dependencies.  Note that this does not require
%> a single mono- lithic Makefile; the top level Makefile can be a shell
%> that includes per-directory Makefiles.  The important part is to get a
%> single dependency tree with no cycles in the graph.
%
%I was so impressed by the clarity in the paper and dicussions with
%friends that use Plan 9's "mk", that I put together "remake". This is a
%Makefile framework that implements the per-directory Makefiles to build
%the dependency tree. If anyone one wants to take a look it's at
%        http://www.ragnet.demon.co.uk/RM/remake.html
%I haven't used it for a year or two and can only point to
%        http://www.ragnet.demon.co.uk/mynews
%as an example of its use.
%
%If anyone gets interested drop me a line and I will try and remember how
%it works.
%
%Duncan
%