Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 95 9:48:27 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        PVinci@ix.netcom.com (Paul Vinciguerra)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: problems w/ 1 Gig WD Caviar drive

> I'm having trouble with my new wd Caviar 31000 drive under 2.0R.  BSD
> keeps telling me about bad sectors, which WD's ATA/IDE tools can't find.
>
> I'm assuming that the problem is a lack of ATA support in WD.C.  If this
> is true, is someone working on this?  If not, does anyone know where can
> I find the ATA specs?

Your assumption is probably wrong.

This is typical of BSD incorrectly determining the translated geometry
of a drive, then using that geometry to multiply a sector number from
the C/H/S values in the partition table -- the resulting sector being
off the end of the drive.

You should run pfdisk.exe under DOS to determine the geometry.

You need to run it off the DOS from the hard driver (for sure) and
off a floppy (for crosscheck and to supply us wuth more info).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.