Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 23:55:33 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        mcdougall@ameritech.net
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quantum Atlas II warning

>  *concerned atlas II owner voice* Hi, I have one, any idea if mine is in need
>of update? and if so, how would I? Thanks.
>sd0 at scbus0 target 0 lun 0
>sd0: <QUANTUM XP39100W LX80> type 0 fixed SCSI 2
>sd0: Direct-Access 8682MB (17781008 512 byte sectors)

My understanding is that LY** firmware is of a later revision than
LX** firmware, so you should probably see if your drive will accept
the LYK8 firmware.  If the electronics are too old, the drive will
reject the new firmware without any consequence.

The LYK8 firmware can be obtained from quantum's ftp site:

ftp://ftp.quantum.com/Firmware/Atlas-II/LYK8/QSHR_LDR.EXE #Upgrade utility
ftp://ftp.quantum.com/Firmware/Atlas-II/LYK8/D5GNLYK8.FUP #2gig drives
ftp://ftp.quantum.com/Firmware/Atlas-II/LYK8/DAGNLYK8.FUP #4gig drives
ftp://ftp.quantum.com/Firmware/Atlas-II/LYK8/DKGNLYK8.FUP #9gig drives

I know the DAGNLYK8.FUP is for the 4 gigs, but I'm going off of memory
for the other two.  The update utility can extract the model number
information from the FUP file with the appropriate command.

--
Justin