Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 19:52:44 +1000
From:      Jim Mock <jim@blues.ghis.net>
To:        Radu-Cristian FOTESCU <rfotescu@idsrom.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 at 12:29:31 +0300, Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:
> > Yes, you're definitely confused.  What does Yahoo! have to do
> > with the issue?  The Ports Collection is part of FreeBSD.
>
> No, you're confused, because you haven't read _carefully_ the whole!
> It was about those Linux apps that can be compiled also under
> FreeBSD [so, 99% of them], those apps whose authors does NOT e-mail
> you at FreeBSD to tell you about their existance!
>
> For instance, win32 apps [freeware/shareware] can easily be found at
> sites like shareware.com, freewaresite.com, etc. etc.  Linux apps
> cam be found also at linuxapps.com and, of course, serching with any
> search engine [y compris Yahoo] and finding, in various pages, that
> someone did something "for Linux".
>
> Now, for Linux there is at least one page [that is linuxapps.com]
> which is trying to list Linux apps w. sources, apps that are NOT
> included in any Linux distribution!!! So, not into FreeBSD/ports
> neither, presumedly!

There's also Freshmeat (http://www.freshmeat.net), and it's *alot*
bigger and more popular than linuxapps.com. Pick something from
linuxapps.com. There are 2,502 different apps in the ports collection.
Chances are what you're looking for is there (if it can be made to
compile on FreeBSD).  If it's not there, and you'd like to see it
ported, either read the section of the handbook on porting and take a
stab at it yourself, or email the ports mailing list and ask if
someone would port it, or even email me, and I'll see if I can do it.
Making a port isn't extremely difficult (I maintain about 20 or so..
and I'm always looking for more ;-)) as long as you read the handbook
section on it.

--
- Jim Mock - jim@blues.ghis.net - systems administrator - ghis.NET -
- work: http://www.ghis.net/ - personal: http://www.ghis.net/~jim/ -