Date:      Fri, 5 Oct 2007 13:08:54 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDstats Statistics for Sept, 2007 ... 12 769 Hosts Reported In

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 01:05:56PM +0100, Miguel Lopes Santos Ramos wrote:
> > From: "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@freebsd.org>
> [...]
> > Percentage Change in September from August:
> >
> >            Overall           +12.8%
> [...]
> >            FreeBSD           - 7.4%  (5008 hosts)
>
> Numbers have gone down as to what FreeBSD is concerned.
> I think it's because the bsdstats script is becoming a bit of a pain...
> - The script keeps being changed and updated...
> - The script now wants to run on startup, which is a pain. Why? What was wrong
> with monthly reports? Why the haste? In my case it runs before an HTTP proxy is
> up and running... I had to disable it. Why on earth enabled by default? That's
> not what most ports do... The FreeBSD user is usually expected to manually
> enable the port after installing it.
> - Only now I realised that it is still reporting monthly... Otherwise it would
> have been deactivated for my machine.

I don't have any problem with running on start-up, or daily, or whatever
(as long as it's not in constant communication with the mothership,
sucking up bandwidth and system resources).  I just wish that, succeed or
fail, it wasn't so damned slow.  I don't need my bootup time or my
networking restart time slowed down by several minutes.

Leon Festinger: "A man with a conviction is a hard man to change. Tell him
you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts and figures and he questions
your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point."