Date:      Sun, 07 Apr 1996 11:22:27 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@jhome.DIALix.COM>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sup/cvs tags

><<On Sat, 6 Apr 1996 17:34:30 +1000, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au> said:
>
>> BTW, what is the best way to look at the diffs in the wollman_polling
>> branch?  `cvs diff -r HEAD -r wollman_polling' gave too many current
>> diffs just one or two days after the branch.  How do I get the date
>> of the branch in a form suitable for `cvs diff -D'?
>
>It seems to me a bug that CVS won't take as input the date format that
>RCS outputs...  In any event, you can say ``cvs diff -D '1 april' -r
>wollman_polling'' and get reasonable-looking diffs.
>
>-GAWollman

That's why branch point tags are used.. to eliminate this ambiguity.

What _should_ have happened when this was tagged was:
 cvs rtag wollman_pending_bp sys
 cvs rtag -r wollman_pending_bp -b wollman_pending sys
 cvs checkout -r wollman_pending sys

And later, we could all do a:
  cvs [r]diff -r wollman_pending_bp -r wollman_pending
and clearly see what you are working on.

re: cvs's parsedate.y.. If anybody wants to fix it to understand all rcs's
forms of date coding, be my guest. :-)  I'm sure either Nate or I can take it
back to the cvs developers and check it into the current source.  Since CVS
uses local time by default and RCS uses GMT, one has to be careful. I usually
use something like: "3/31/96 10:00:07 GMT", but again one has to reverse the
month and date into the "backwards" system the americans use. :-)
Remember, to cvs, "april 1" covers a 24 hour time span, depending on where you
are in the world.

Cheers,
-Peter