Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 16:27:35 +1000
From:      Andrew Johns <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        "Dan Mahoney Jr." <danm@DanMahoney.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Samba and Browsing.

"Dan Mahoney Jr." wrote:

> Okay, I've tried to the best of my ability to follow the docs exactly on
> this one, but for some reason, nmbd refuses to do WINS.
>
> The situation:
>
> A BSD box and a win95 box, bsd box with Samba, connected via thin ether.
>
> Win95 box set with WINS of freebsd box (192.168.1.1)
>
> All IPs statically assigned.
>
> For the record, I can connect to the shared resource using
>
> net use J: \\192.168.1.1\home
>
> I can do an smblookup on all machines in the local net (from the bsd box),
> and it correctly gives the winbox's ip (although it gives 127.0.0.1 for
> the local host, not 192.168.1.1, which I am unsure of...A shame I can't
> get another unix system to query it)
>
> And I can use explorer and telnet, etc fine on the winbox to get to the
> outside world, so I know the network is doing its job.  I thought for a
> while that maybe my guest user was bad, so I changed it to my own login
> (it's also been tried as nobody and danm).  The docs did not say what kind
> of password, permissions, or shell to have for this user (or so grep would
> make it appear).
>
> Help is much appreciated, as I've combed the archives already and not
> found this info yet...
>
> Many thanks
> (the other) Dan Mahoney
>
> (------SMB CONF FILE------)
> # Samba config file created using SWAT
> # from GushiComTech.DanMahoney.Com (127.0.0.1)
> # Date: 1999/04/23 00:52:41
>
> # Global parameters
>         workgroup = MAIN
>         netbios name = BSD
>         netbios aliases = GUSHI
>         server string = Samba Server
>         log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
>         max log size = 50
>         nt acl support = Yes
>         time server = Yes
>         read prediction = Yes
>         socket options = TCP_NODELAY
>         strip dot = Yes
>         domain logons = Yes
>         os level = 65
>         lm announce = False
>         preferred master = Yes
>         domain master = Yes
>         wins proxy = Yes
>         wins support = Yes
>         unix realname = Yes
>         NIS homedir = Yes
>         guest account = danm (tried nobody, ftp, and danm)
>         hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
>         case sensitive = Yes
>         mangle case = Yes
>         delete veto files = Yes
>         map system = Yes
>         map hidden = Yes
>         strict locking = Yes
>         delete readonly = Yes
>         dos filetimes = Yes
>         dos filetime resolution = Yes
>         fake directory create times = Yes
>
> [printers]
>         comment = All Printers
>         path = /usr/spool/samba
>         print ok = Yes
>         browseable = No
>
> [HOME]
>         path = /tmp
> [...]

Hmmm - you don't seem to have anything with browseable=yes so....it's
hidden from you.  If you don't turn on the lights, you can't see in
the dark :)

http://www.samba.org would probably help you more than
questions@freebsd.org.

HTH
--
Regards                        |    _/\_/\
Andrew Johns BSc (Comp Sci)    |   /      \

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I installed
FreeBSD."