Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 21:19:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        joelh@gnu.org
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, eivind@yes.no, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I see one major problem with DEVFS...

> > 2)	The config program is a barrier for new users.
> >
> > This isn't an opinion.  It's a fact.  People who have never used the
> > config program in FreeBSD are unlikely to have experience with a
> > similar program in the environment they came from, be it Linux or
> > be it Windows.
>
> I had no problem at all with the config program when I started with
> BSD.  And FreeBSD has the handbook that spells it out easily.

You are not a "people", you are an "engineer".  A "people" would not
have known there was a handbook, nor that the kernel would ever have
reason to need to be recompiled, let alone that it was possible to
read something to get the information.

To paraphrase Nate's law: "the complexity has to live somewhere"; I
personally prefer that it live, not in user space code, and not in
kernel space code, but in the architecture.

Have you ever been to an amusement park with gas powered cars that
are on a cement ridge, much like a slot car?  These parks never
have problems with the animal ride train barrelling into a slot car,
flying off the tracks into a bridge abuttment, and then the bridge
collapsing on the passgenger cars of the train to the gleeful howls
of the tabloid press.

Unlike most so-called "modern" countries, the car and train systems
at amusement parks are architected such that they do not have
intersecting domains.

In the same way, OS's must be architected such that there is never
a domain containing both members of the set "complex task" and the
set "standard user interface" simultaneously.  Note the use of the
adjective "standard" before accusing me of wanting to "dumb down"
UNIX.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---