Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 1996 17:28:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        rjk@sparcmill.grauel.com (Richard J Kuhns)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Archive Anaconda Tape drive 1.35GB && Adaptec 1542CF

Richard J Kuhns wrote:

> Well, based on Jonathan Bresler's report on the Anaconda at the beginning
> of this month, I decided to try one.

	guess that i should respond here ;)

> The machine is running -stable with the most recent ctm updates (0061, I
> think), and just finished a "make world" I'd started yesterday.
>
> I had no trouble dumping root (about 15MB), altho the tape never seemed to
> stream, using "dump 0unBbf 1200000 10 /dev/nrst0 /".

	"/" is the mounted filesystem.
	examining hte code to 'dump' shows that it translatees the
	filesystem to the raw device.  so i guess that's not the problem ...

	do you have "SCSI_DELAY=15" in your kernel?

> When I followed up by trying to dump /usr (about 300MB), the tape ran a
> little longer (it still didn't stream) and then started reporting i/o
> errors reading the hard drive.  I've included the kernel messages in the
> dmesg output below.  I interrupted the dump at this point; after it
> stopped, there were no more kernel messages and everything seemed fine.
>

> Any brilliant suggestions?  Fair warning, tho: if I get this tape drive
> working under the 1542, I'm liable to try it with a Buslogic 946 C next
> :-).

	arghhhhhhh.....

> (aha0:6:0): "ARCHIVE ANCDA 2750 28077 -003" type 1 removable SCSI 2

	same string as mine.  this is good!

	regarding the timeouts, this is a problme for my ncr card during
	rewind, not while reading or writing the tape.

	i just tested the drive with a scsi drive on the same controller
	no problems here.  nearly all of my testing and use has been
	with the drives on one ncr810 and the tape on the other ncr810
	(the tape shares a scsi chain wiht the cdrom and the /usr/obj
	/usr/src partitions that i can recreate from cvs so i dont
	back them up general)