Date:      Fri, 02 Mar 2001 09:39:57 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more strange problem with broken pipes and ssh

At 06:32 AM 3/2/01 -0800, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
>In message <5.0.2.1.0.20010226143727.024d0c90@marble.sentex.ca>, Mike
>Tancsa wr
>ites:
> >
> > OK, here is another strange problem with SSH and pipes.  When connecting
> > via some means other than ssh, the commands
> >
> > grep reject /var/log/maillog | less
> >
> > displays data as expected.  However, when connected via ssh, hitting q to
> > exit from less, I get a whole mess of
> >
> > grep: writing output: Broken pipe
> > grep: writing output: Broken pipe
> > grep: writing output: Broken pipe
> > grep: writing output: Broken pipe
> >
> > This is with stable as of today and the problem showed up since the last
> > ssh commits.  The amount of broken pipes seems to scale with the amount of
> > data less has, and it seems you need at least more than a screen full.
>
>I'm using -stable as of Feb 27 04:15 PST.  No problems here.  Is there
>something in your ssh config that might either cause this bug to
>manifest itself?

If I recall you never had the problem with the makewhatis script and ssh as
well due to some special config of your ssh (Kerberos?) ? This is with

4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0: Mon Feb 26

Like the problem with the makewhatis broken pipes (and certain ports), the
problem does not show itself when connecting to the machine via telnet or
rlogin.

         ---Mike