Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 1997 19:41:17 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@mailhost.coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-BETA comments

#define quoting(J Wunsch)
// As sos@freebsd.org wrote:
//
// > > I think the ScrollLock feature used to have problems all the time, in
// > > particular if output data arrived while one was scrolling back.
// >
// > Erhm, could you be more specific about this one ?? I know I use it
// > this way often and it has newer failed on me (yet).
//
// Hit ScrollLock immediately after the interrupts got enabled, i.e.
// very early in /etc/rc.  Browse a little back and forth through the
// kernel messages, hit ScrollLock again and -- you don't see any
// messages from /etc/rc.  It takes you another return or so to finally
// see them.

Hey...  This behaviour happens in 2.1.x also...

I never thought of it as a bug, just a "feature".  :)

Instead of hitting enter, hit shift, and nothing bad happens.

//
// But maybe that's also another incarnation of the ``buggy pty''
// behaviour only.  The latter can be best observed in the Emergency
// Holographic Shell of a 2.2-ALPHA or -BETA installation floppy.  It's
// simply unusable if you try entering anything while the installation is
// in progress.  Funny, no response.  If you switch back to VTY2, you
// won't get back to VTY4 (though the EHS is still running there), the
// system beeps only.

Humm...  I usually use the EHS to telnet to my mail system and read
some mail while waiting for install to complete.  Curiously, I didn't
try it while my last installation of 2.2 BETA.

Interestingly enough, there's no userland command to switch vtys,
while a sigle ioctl is necessary.  Maybe next versions of vidcontrol
should include it.  What do you think ?  It could be useful to start
some kind of "log screen" in a shell daemon.

// Now, try again, and start another /bin/sh or /bin/csh on top of the
// EHS itself -- everything will work fine.
//
// (If you ask me: the ``beep if there's nothing open on that VTY''
// misfeature is something i already hated in Interactive Unix.  I never
// believed one would implement such a misfeature volunteerely.  But i
// know, you don't ask me. :)
//
// --
// cheers, J"org
//
// joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
// Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)
//

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br