Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 1999 14:02:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        Adam Strohl <adams@digitalspark.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: sigset_t changes committed

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 10:17 PM +0000 1999/9/29, Adam Strohl wrote:
>
> > Furthermore, for when 4.0 becomes a -R or -S, ftping in a compiled kernel
> > shouldn't be that hard of a price to pay for going from 3.2.
> >
> > /stand/sysinstall based upgrades could easily seemlessly take care of
> > this, too.
>
> 	I must confess ignorance (and I haven't exhaustively searched the
> mailing list archives, the Handbook, or the FAQ),

	For future reference you will get better results if you don't
explicitly state your failure to educate yourself on the topic you are
posting about.

> but is this the
> recommended method of upgrading from a previous major release to the
> latest -STABLE major release (i.e., going from 2.x to 3.x today, or
> from 3.x to 4.x when the time comes)?  I thought the official
> procedure was cvsup, or is that for updating only within a particular
> major release?

	There is no "official procedure." Like everything else in unix the
"best" solution varies on the problem domain. If you have console access
it is generally always better to use sysinstall since that method is
almost always guaranteed to work. Many of us don't have console access to
the machines we maintain, and although this is not an "officially
supported" method of upgrading preventing chicken and egg problems in the
upgrade from source process is a matter of good design, as well as a
matter of great importance to the "fringe cases" that don't involve
"simply" doing an upgrade.

Doug
--
"Stop it, I'm gettin' misty."