Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 13:52:56 -0500
From:      "David W. Alderman" <dave@mmrd.com>
To:        Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
Cc:        "hardware@FreeBSD.ORG" <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org" <Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org>
Subject:   Re: mousen

Steve Friedrich wrote:

> My main frustration with mice was the darn wire!  I got an Logitech
> Mouseman Cordless a couple years ago, and have since bought another!
> I'd like to get an "art tablet" to tinker with, but not as a primary
> input device. I experienced track balls on Navy equipment (ever felt a
> $600 trackball?? Actually, they probably cost way more than that, I
> just used the price of the hammer ;o)  and on a few game systems, and
> one Kensington on a PC.  I prefer the cordless mouse as a primary input
> device, and I REALLY like to use keyboard shortcuts, because mice will
> NEVER obviate the need for a keyboard. But the problem with keyboard
> shortcuts is much like the problem with *standards*. There's so damn
> many of them!

Until very recently, I too was using the Mouseman Cordless.  I think it is an
excellent mouse.  I actually *have* two large black trackballs that look like they
came out of fire control, but were probably pulled from an air traffic control
system.  I have been very tempted to write an interface driver for them just for
the entertainment value.

Most new art tablets now come with a cordless pen and a cordless "mouse" that work
on the tablet.  If you look at the tablet as a mouse pad, this may be an excellent
combination.  My only concern is documentation:  do these newer tablets document
both their absolute and relative positioning modes and how to switch between them?
With the burgeoning open source movement, one would hope so.
--
Dave Alderman - Democracy should not be capital intensive.
dave@persprog.com is changing to dave@mmrd.com