Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 04:58:30 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@freebsd.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: desktops and mounting

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 11:50:26AM +0100, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> Recently while setting up a FreeBSD machine for desktop use, and
> watching linux users on their machines, it seemed to me that
> everything that can be done on linux can be done equally easily on
> FreeBSD -- except non-root mounting of removable media (like floppies,
> CDROMs).  You can't allow user mounts simply by adding a "user" option
> in /etc/fstab, and simple point-and-clicking in KDE/GNOME doesn't work
> either.

There's a sysctl which allows user mounting of filesystems
(vfs.usermount). And it *is* a potential security hole if your
permissions aren't set right.

Set the sysctl in rc.sysctl, add the file system to fstab with noauto,
and then any user who passes the permissions check can mount it on
demand.

Kris

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9--