Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 23:50:39 -0700
From:      "Robert Sowders" <rsowders@usgs.gov>
To:        danm@DanMahoney.com, A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Samba and Browsing.

You can find out what ip address your system is by typeing ifconfig -a =
from the console.
the inet address is your ip.

>>> Andrew Johns <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au> 4/22/99 11:27:35 PM >>>
"Dan Mahoney Jr." wrote:
>=20
> Okay, I've tried to the best of my ability to follow the docs exactly on
> this one, but for some reason, nmbd refuses to do WINS.
>=20
> The situation:
>=20
> A BSD box and a win95 box, bsd box with Samba, connected via thin ether.
>=20
> Win95 box set with WINS of freebsd box (192.168.1.1)
>=20
> All IPs statically assigned.
>=20
> For the record, I can connect to the shared resource using
>=20
> net use J: \\192.168.1.1\home
>=20
> I can do an smblookup on all machines in the local net (from the bsd =
box),
> and it correctly gives the winbox's ip (although it gives 127.0.0.1 for
> the local host, not 192.168.1.1, which I am unsure of...A shame I can't
> get another unix system to query it)
>
> And I can use explorer and telnet, etc fine on the winbox to get to the
> outside world, so I know the network is doing its job.  I thought for a
> while that maybe my guest user was bad, so I changed it to my own login
> (it's also been tried as nobody and danm).  The docs did not say what =
kind
> of password, permissions, or shell to have for this user (or so grep =
would
> make it appear).
>=20
> Help is much appreciated, as I've combed the archives already and not
> found this info yet...
>=20
> Many thanks
> (the other) Dan Mahoney
>=20
> (------SMB CONF FILE------)
> # Samba config file created using SWAT
> # from GushiComTech.DanMahoney.Com (127.0.0.1)
> # Date: 1999/04/23 00:52:41
>=20
> # Global parameters
>         workgroup =3D MAIN
>         netbios name =3D BSD
>         netbios aliases =3D GUSHI
>         server string =3D Samba Server
>         log file =3D /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
>         max log size =3D 50
>         nt acl support =3D Yes
>         time server =3D Yes
>         read prediction =3D Yes
>         socket options =3D TCP_NODELAY
>         strip dot =3D Yes
>         domain logons =3D Yes
>         os level =3D 65
>         lm announce =3D False
>         preferred master =3D Yes
>         domain master =3D Yes
>         wins proxy =3D Yes
>         wins support =3D Yes
>         unix realname =3D Yes
>         NIS homedir =3D Yes
>         guest account =3D danm (tried nobody, ftp, and danm)
> [...]

Hmmm - you don't seem to have anything with browseable=3Dyes so....it's
hidden from you.  If you don't turn on the lights, you can't see in
the dark :)

http://www.samba.org would probably help you more than
questions@freebsd.org.

HTH
--=20
Regards                        |    _/\_/\
Andrew Johns BSc (Comp Sci)    |   /      \
TurnAround Solutions Pty Ltd   |   \_...__/
http://www.turnaround.com.au/  |        \/

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I installed
FreeBSD."