Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 03:38:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@hamell.hpc1.com>
To:        Jason <jason@townnews.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CPU Upgrade

> We're running FreeBSD 2.2.5-Stable on a slower system, and we'd like to
> upgrade the processor in the machine. WIll we need to recompile the
> kernel if we perform this upgrade? If so, I'd appreciate the details on
> why (I'm a curious sort when it comes to things like this). I can't seem
> to find any solid information on the subject...

	It depends. If it's a mission critical system you'd be better of
building a 2nd machine with 3.2 in it, then moving your data over. If
you've already got a Pentium system and go to a P-III or a K6, I don't
believe you have to do anything. But, if you still need to do a kernal
compile goto http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig.html

						Rick