Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 20:02:02 +1000 (EST)
From:      Robert Chalmers <robert@nanguo.chalmers.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (bsd)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org (FreeBSD ISP), hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   progress report on connection problems

In the hopes that someone more knowledgable than I may have an explanation.

I realise this is not in bug report format.
FreeBSD nanguo.chalmers.com.au 2.2-961014-SNAP FreeBSD 2.2-961014-SNAP #0: Tue Jan 28 14:23:53 EST 1997     root@nanguo.chalmers.com.au:/usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNEL  i386

I am connected to the carrier (ISP) through my Stallion EasyServer 8 Port.
This is an Annex the same as the XYLogics Annex. Running V9.xx software erpcd.

The problem that has surfaced;

	Some, not all, sites around the world are not able to connect
to any of my FreeBSD servers to exchange information. Let me rephrase that:
They can connect, but not exchange information past that point.
I have no idea what OSs the other sites are using. The number of sites is
not large, but significant. I am currently logging over 4000 connections a
month from individual places. Well over 1GB of data transferred.

the Problem.
	examples:
1.		mail (sendmail) to some sites can only deliver 1 line
		messages. To other sites not at all. The sites report back
		with timeout and other messages indicating a failure to
		complete transactions with my site

2.		ftp from other sites into the ftp server will connect then
		hang, and the connection is reset.
		Most interestingly, one freebsd site changed to a Linux
		server, and connected fine, and completed the transfer.

3.		http/web servers will connect and hang, others will go so
		slowly that they are as good as unusable.
		Most notable are yahoo.com and linkexchange.com.

		All the
		other search engines connect and exchange data with no
		worries.

		It should be noted that linkexchange.com will talk happily
		to this site, EXCEPT when it is required to SUBMIT my
		banner for its archive. It connects, then I get a server
		error from Linkexchanges server. Yahoo simply fails
		all together. The error returned is a timeout.

Systems known to work with my site with no worries.
	SCO Unix
	BSDI
	NT
	'95

I can connect to, and be connected to these OSs with no worries.
I have tried setting tcp_extensions NO and YES. If set to YES, I am unable
to ftp to another FBSD site that also has tcp_extensions set YES (on).
The connection simply 'hung'. If I set rfc1323 to 0 (off) the ftp connection
worked fine, the other end being (on). The same happened at the other end,
when they tried to ftp to me. set tcp_extension on, fail, set it off, fine.

The only constant is the Annex. However, why does it pass _most_ traffic,
if it is the fault of the Annex, and only fail on some.?

If FreeBSD is
going to be so fussy about its tcp/ip flow, shouldn't it be reworked.
The world is still full of less than leading edge hardware! Some of it
brand new...

If anyone wants to comment or offer help, I'mm happy to keep trying to
track this bug(ger) down.

cheers,
Robert

--
Triple-W: P.O. Box 2003. Mackay. 4740       		   +61-0412-079025
robert@chalmers.com.au for Whirled Peas		http://www.chalmers.com.au