Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2006 11:36:12 +0100
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Subversion? (Re: HEADS UP: Importing csup into base)

According to Duane Whitty:
> but has anyone considered implementing
> a version control system using Berkeley
> DB?  It would allow for database style
> indexes and still allow for storage of
> files outside the dbms.

svn tried it at the beginning, went back to the so-called fsfs backend
because their usage of bdb (or bdb itself, it is not clear) was far too
fragile for that.  They stored everything in tables though, including the
actual source code.

What you're thinking of is Perforce which does store metadata in .db files
but data as RCS files (,v and all that).

Codeville is still full bdb too but used only by its author mostly :)

> wish CVS made use of a binary diff tool
> because I would like to use it for more
> than just source code.

All modern VCS handle binary files more efficiently than CVS :)
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
Darwin snuadh.freenix.org Kernel Version 7.9.0: Wed Mar 30 20:11:17 PST 2005