Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 1996 11:14:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New version of ccd driver available

> (7) What's the second field in /etc/ccd.conf?

> That's the "interleave size".  Basically, the ccd driver will write
> this many sectors (usually 512 bytes) to one disk before it moves to
> the next disk.  As a special case, a zero here means no interleave,
> i.e., to concatenate disks serially.

> We have found that in FFS, a value of 16 usually optimizes read
> performance, while the write peaks with a much larger value (like
> 512).  This probably has to do with cluster_write() thinking it's
> writing to a single disk when it's actually not.  This is one of the
> things we are planning to fix.

I've done some performance testing - both mirrored and striped - on
one of my systems.  I noted a different performance curve than you did,
so I thought you might like to see them.  (I used a SCSI-I disk, and
provided the results run on a standard FFS - the numbers are mostly
useful to compare to the FFS baseline results.)

The results are at "http://www.dtr.com/ccd" - Mostly it's raw results
and a quick-n-dirty summary and Excel spreadsheet with the performance
curve graphed.  The results and summary are in ASCII.  I have also
included the script that I used to run the tests.

I've also got some ambitious ideas for improving the ccd driver -
nothing coded, just some raw ideas.  (hot swappable mirrors, etc.).
At work, I deal with three different host-based fault-tolerance
implementations (Sequent Dynix and ptx/SVM, as well as the Solaris disk
suite) - the current ccd driver resembles Dynix; some of the ideas I
have in mind are borrowed from SVM and Solaris.

If you're interested in hearing what I have in mind, I'll write
something up and forward it to you.