Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 19:00:15 +0100
From:      Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@teaser.fr>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New print interface

On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 12:48:56PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
>> But there's at least FIFO+DMA support in the nlpt driver. Try 'lptcontrol -e'
>> with you BIOS configured to ECP. Recompile with the appropriate
>> drq on the 'device ppc at isa?...' line.
>
>Experimentation mode (on a machine I can crash here if I need to now).
>I stuck the drq 3 into the 'controller ppc0' line.  BTW, since LINT was
>changed, there's now no indication as to where to stick the dma channel
>info, for users.

Info is in the lpt(4) manpage.

>Anyhow, now my config looks like:
>
>controller      ppc0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 drq 3
>controller      ppbus0
>device          lpt0    at ppbus?
>device          plip0   at ppbus?
>device          ppi0    at ppbus?
>device          pps0    at ppbus?

Good.

>There are a couple of things that have happened that strike me as worthy
>of comment.  Here's my relevant dmesg part:
>
>ppc0 at 0x378 irq 7 drq 3 on isa
>ppc0: SMC FDC37C665GT chipset (ECP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
>ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/15 bytes threshold
>ppb0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE/ECP
>Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
>ppbus0: <HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 690C> MLC,PCL,PML
>plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus 0
>lpt0: <generic printer> on ppbus 0
>lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
>ppi0: <generic parallel i/o> on ppbus 0
>lppps0: <Pulse per second Timing Interface> on ppbus 0
>
>Notice how the ppbus finds and correctly IDs my printer (yea!) but then
>the lpt0 and ppi0 lines find generic ... this is a little odd, isn't it?
>Even if the lpt0 and ppi0 parts are less intelligent, they should share
>info to at least some degree, shouldn't they?

i/o is generic here.

>2nd note ... you said I should use lptcontrol -e.  I did that, exactly,
>and it came back to tell me that it had switched me to extended mode
>(which I expected) AND to polled mode (which I neither expected nor
>wanted).  The man page says that only one action is taken at a time.  I
>was able to switch on the interrupt mode again (which I did want) by
>using the -i switch (advertised correctly on the man page now) but isn't
>this wrong, switching to polled mode like that on entering the -e?

Hmm, yes. It is interrupt driven tough.

But, can you print with extended mode set?! If true, imagine you use
DMA+FIFO when printing! If not convinced, enable PPC_DEBUG when compiling
i386/isa/ppc.c.

--
nsouch@teaser.fr / nsouch@freebsd.org
FreeBSD - Turning PCs into workstations - http://www.FreeBSD.org