Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2011 16:13:55 -0700
From:      Navdeep Parhar <nparhar@gmail.com>
To:        George Neville-Neil <gnn@neville-neil.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating our TCP and socket sysctl values...

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 11:37 PM, George Neville-Neil
<gnn@neville-neil.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I believe it's time for us to upgrade our sysctl values for TCP sockets s=
o that
> they are more in line with the modern world. =A0At the moment we have the=
se limits on
> our buffering:
>
> kern.ipc.maxsockbuf: 262144
> net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_max: 262144
> net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_max: 262144
>
> I believe it's time to up these values to something that's in line with h=
igher speed
> local networks, such as 10G. =A0Perhaps it's time to move these to 2MB in=
stead of 256K.

> Thoughts?

256KB seems adequate for 10G (as long as the consumer can keep
draining the socket rcv buffer fast enough).  If you consider 2 x
bandwidth delay product to be a reasonable socket buffer size then
256K allows for 10G networks with ~100ms delays.  Normally the delay
is _way_ less than this for 10G and even 256K may be an overkill (but
this is ok, the kernel has tcp_do_autorcvbuf on by default)

While we're here discussing defaults, what about nmbclusters and
nmbjumboXX?  Now those haven't kept up with modern machines (imho).

Regards,
Navdeep