Date:      Fri, 28 Oct 2011 21:28:31 -0700
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Lev Serebryakov <lev@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Update devel/jdk16 to 6u23b05 (or later)?

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 10:06:18PM +0400, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
>   Is it possible? Maybe, it is WIP? Any plans for this?

It's certainly possible, it just requires someone with sufficient time
and motivation to do it.

>   If here is no any plans for this, I could try to make this upgrade
>  by myself (I'm familiar with JDK build process and sources
>  structure), but here is one big problem: BSD patch.

I don't know of anyone who currently has plans to do this.

>   Now BSD patch is real-true-good-old patch: all files in `bsd/'
> subdirs are created by it from scratches. It is almost impossible
> to upgrade HotSpot (merge changes between two JDK versions into `bsd'
> tree).
>
>  I'm sure, that all files in `bsd' subdirs start their lifes as
> Solaris or Linux ones, so changes could be merged more easily.

Correct.

>  Is it possible to get this patch in form "copy files from solaris or
> linux and then patch them for BSD" form? If yes, I could try to
> migrate ourr patchest to latest JRL-based sources, which seems to be
>
>  http://download.java.net/jdk6/6u23/promoted/b05/
>
>   (Or I could not find u29 on new site and it is exists as JRL-based sources?)

You could generate the patch in that form fairly easily by doing something
like the following:

cd /usr/ports/java/jdk16
make patch
mv work work.patched
make extract

Now, in the work directory run a script that does the same thing as the
post-extract target from openjdk7/Makefile.  Then

diff -u work work.patched > patch-set

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org