Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 2020 16:34:35 +1000
From:      Kubilay Kocak <koobs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Stefan_E=c3=9fer?= <se@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: www/py-html5lib with FLAVOR=py27 failed to build

On 27/07/2020 4:14 pm, Stefan Eßer wrote:
> Am 27.07.20 um 07:03 schrieb Yasuhito FUTATSUKI:
>> In article <20200727.112301.1619120197420987885.yasu@utahime.org>
>> yasu@utahime.org writes:
>>
>>> From: KIRIYAMA Kazuhiko <kiri@truefc.org>
>>> Subject: www/py-html5lib with FLAVOR=py27 failed to build
>>> Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 15:17:04 +0900

>>> I tried `cd /usr/ports/www/py-html5lib; make FLAVOR=py27 install` with
>>> following conditions,
>>>
>>> OS: 11.4-RELEASE, 12.1-RELEASE and 13-CURRENT r363475 (amd64)
>>> Ports tree: head r543492
>>>
>>> And in all cases it compeletes without any error.
>>>
>>> Do you have any non-default setting about options or something related
>>> to ports build?
>>
>> www/py-html5lib@py27 run depends on devel/py-six@py27.
>> devel/py-six@py27 test depends on devel/py-pytest@py27.
>> devel/py-pytest@py27 test depends on devel/py-hypothesis@py27.
>> devel/py-hypothesis dropped py27 support on r538898.
>>
>> So it can't be built with test. I guess it is the reason.
>
> I consider it quite an annoyance that ports depending on Python 2.7
> are deleted before the EoL of the interpreter has actually occurred.
>
> I'm currently trying to resurrect a port (textproc/scancode-toolkit)
> which for quite some time has already been available in an upgraded
> version for Python 3 on Github, but was deleted in our ports tree.
>
> It depends on other ports that work with Python 3 if only the USES
> clause in the ports Makefile is fixed to include 3.6+ (I do not have
> older Python versions installed and they might work with 3.0+, but I
> cannot easily test that assumption). Some of these dependencies have
> also been deleted from ports, despite being ready for Python 3.
>
> IMHO ports that are currently marked to require Python 2.7 should be
> updated to a version that works with 3.x (and many will do without
> any change to the port except removing the restriction in the port's
> Makefile, as I have found when working on scancode-toolbox).
>
> Removal of Python-32.7 specific ports that are depended on by other
> ports instead of just updating them or their port Makefile causes
> friction and work for maintainers of dependent ports, who may not
> have much experience with those dependencies (e.g. because they are
> written in Python whole the port maintainer is not well versed in
> that language and especially not in the steps required to migrate
> a port from 2.7 to 3.x or to test whether it has been fully migrated
> by the upstream).

The strategy, plan and execution for deprecation of Python 2.7 and the
guidelines for deprecation and removal of Python 2.7 ports was not
coordinated with, discussed with or executed by the Python team, as it
should have been.

The issues associated with this as well as the impact it has had on the
team, maintainers and and users has already been reported to core as one
set of example symptoms that form part of a broader report.

Python is more than happy to address the issues associated with that
plan. I encourage and welcome interested developers, users, maintainers
who want to participate in improve the situation to join #freebsd-python
on freenode.

--
koobs
@Python