Date:      Mon, 03 Jul 1995 19:06:11 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@haywire.dialix.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: comments on my favourite hack to traceroute?

>This is my favourite hack to traceroute to rationalize the number of
>digits printed in the rtt stats..
>The standard one prints three numbers after the decimal point, and when
>you're up in the thousands of milliseconds (try going from australia to
>the depths of europe some time.. :-), then the numbers are a bit of
>overkill.  It makes the display look very messy.
>
>I made a change to cause traceroute to only show a limited number of
>significant digits..

   That's similar to what the code did originally. I changed it because it
incorrectly represents the precision and I find it a lot more difficult to
read with varying numbers of decimal digits. I'm personally more interested
in accuracy than I am in formatting. Besides, IMO, the solution to lines being
too long has always been to use a larger window. :-)

>From the CVS log:

revision 1.2
date: 1994/08/29 17:45:43;  author: davidg;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -1
Changed output formatting to correctly represent the precision - it's
not cool to truncate trailing zeros..

-DG